LAKSHMĪPUR, in Kaṭihār district of Bihār, is predominantly a Sikh village and has a historical shrine dedicated to Gurū Tegh Bahādur. The ancestors of the inhabitants of this village lived in Kāntnagar, a flourishing port on the left bank of the River Gaṅgā, and it was in fact this latter village where Gurū Tegh Bahādur had stayed on his way back from Assam to Paṭnā in 1670. The whole village accepted the Sikh faith. Subsequently, owing to a change in the course of the river, the entire village was washed away, the residents moving northwards to establish a new habitation which they also called Kāntnagar. But this Kāntnagar itself suffered heavy floods repeatedly. In consequence, the bulk of its population shifted to new sites further north in the middle of the nineteenth century with the permission of their overlord, the Mahārājā of Darbhaṅgā. Native Biharī Sikhs are now living in seven different villages within a radius of about 10 km. Each of these villages has a gurdwārā, but the one at Lakshmīpur is more famous for here is preserved an old volume of the Gurū Granth Sāhib believed to have been retrieved from the deluge that effaced. old Kāntnagar, and several historical documents.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)