LAMMĀṄ, also known as Lammāṅ-Jaṭpurā, in Ludhiāṇā district, is 14 km from Rāikoṭ (30º-39'N, 75º-37'E) on the Gurū Gobind Siṅgh Mārg. Gurū Gobind Siṅgh stayed in the village for a few days in December 1705 on his way from Chamkaur to Dīnā and Kāṅgaṛ. While Rāi Kalhā had despatched a fast messenger, Nūrā Māhī, to Sirhind to bring news of Mātā Gujarī and two younger sons of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, rumoured to have been taken into custody by the local governor, the Gurū halted at Lammāṅ-Jaṭpurā to await his return. Nūrā Māhī returned and tearfully narrated the tragic happenings at Sirhind. Gurū Gobind Siṅgh sat listening with perfect composure, his eyes fixed on the ground. With the tip of his arrow he was digging, as if absentmindedly, at the root of a dab weed plant. As Nūrā concluded his doleful tale, the Gurū pulled out the dab plant and said, "The roots of tyrants have been dug; they shall be uprooted." He told his Sikhs not to grieve. He sat in prayer and thanked the Timeless God that he had rendered unto Him what was His. He blessed the Nawāb of Mālerkoṭlā who had spoken in defence of the children at the Sirhind court. He also blessed Rāi Kalhā for his devotion and service, and gave him a sword and a jug as souvenirs.
There are two gurdwārās in Lammāṅ to commemorate Gurū Gobind Siṅgh's visit.
GURDWĀRĀ SĀHIB PĀTSHĀHĪ DASVĪṄ is inside the village on the site of the house of one Bhāī Rām Dit Siṅgh where the Gurū had stayed overnight. It consists of a Mañjī Sāhib, a small square room topped by a lotus dome in which the Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated. In front is a rectangular hall. Ancillary buildings for laṅgar and the granthī are across a paved courtyard. This Gurdwārā is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. There is in the Gurdwārā a hand-written copy of the Gurū Granth Sāhib which the inhabitants believe to have been given to the saṅgat by Gurū Gobind Siṅgh himself.
GURDWĀRĀ GURŪSAR PAÑJUĀṆĀ is on the outskirts of the village and marks the spot where the Gurū sat during the day to meet the visiting devotees. The building constructed in the 1940's consists of a large square hall within which is the prakāsh asthān and two small cubicles. Over the prakāsh asthān, there is a domed room. Close by is the 45-metre square bathing tank called Gurū Sar. The Gurdwārā is managed by Sant Ajaib Siṅgh of Bopārāi who constructed the complex.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)