LAṄG, a village 11 km northwest of Paṭiālā city (30º20'N, 76º26'E), claims a historical shrine called Gurdwārā Dukh Bhañjan Sāhib Pātshāhī Nauvīṅ. The designation Dukh Bhañjan is only a recent addition, the old name coming down the generations being Gurdwārā Nauvīṅ Pātshāhī. According to local tradition, Gurū Tegh Bahādur halted here during his journey to the eastern parts in 1665. He arrived accompanied by his mother, his wife and a number of Sikhs. The shrine established to commemorate the holy visit was originally a small hut. It was replaced by a proper Mañjī Sāhib by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh of Paṭiālā (1798-1845), who also made an endowment of 500 bighās of land. Under postIndependence tenancy laws, the tenants became owners of all but seven bighās. The building was reconstructed by Sant Chhoṭā Siṅgh (d. 1975) who looked after the shrine for two decades. A small square room, constructed over the spot where he was cremated, is being developed into a picture gallery containing paintings of scenes from Sikh history. The main building consists of a square assembly hall, with the sanctum in the centre marking the site of the original Mañjī Sāhib. A domed square room has been constructed on the first floor over the sanctum. The Gurdwārā is managed by a committee of local Sikhs.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)