LAṄGAR CHHANNĪ, a village in Ambālā district of Haryāṇā, about 13 km southeast of Ambālā cantonment (30º-21'N, 76º-50'E), is sacred to Gurū Tegh Bahādur. According to local tradition, the Gurū halted in this village while travelling from Haridvār to Lakhnaur Sāhib along with the members of his family. Laṅgar Chhannī at that time was inhabited by Raṅghaṛ Muslims, and, at the place where the Gurdwārā Srī Gurū Tegh Bahādur Sāhib stands now, there was a takīāh or seat of Muslim faqīrs. Even long after the Gurū's visit the place continued to be called a takīāh. During the period following the fall of Sirhind in 1764, this territory around Kesarī and Shāhzādpur was seized by Sardār Karam Siṅgh of the Shahīd misl. Later, a Sikh family, Chahals of village Balāṇā, 7 km southwest of Ambālā city, came and settled in Laṅgar Chhannī. The memory of the Gurū's visit to the place was still alive. The old takīāh in the course of time gave place to a ḍerā where sādhūs of Udāsī and Nirmalā sects resided. The Gurdwārā was established during the Gurdwārā Reform movement in the 1920's. The present building was raised in 1938. It consists of a single flat-roofed rectangular room, with a verandah and a small brick-paved open space in front. An old nīm tree which stands near by is believed to have existed since the time of Gurū Tegh Bahādur's visit. The Gurdwārā is managed by a committee of the local saṅgat.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)