LEHAL KALĀṄ, village 9 km southeast of Lahirā (29º-56'N, 75º-48'E), in Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab, was visited by Gurū Tegh Bahādur, who halted briefly on a sandy mound, about 400 metres west of the village. An old farmer, Aṛak by name, served him, and received instruction from him. Bhāī Aṛak constructed a simple memorial at the mound in honour of the Gurū. His descendants continued to manage it until 1883 when Bhāī Mall Siṅgh, a mahant of Dhamtān, constructed the square domed Mañjī Sāhib which still stands. This is the seat of the holy Gurū Granth Sāhib. A large marble-floored hall, with a square sanctum, completed in 1980, caters for larger gatherings. Gurdwārā Srī Gurū Tegh Bahādur Sāhib now attracts on special occasions. Within the Gurdwārā compound has been built the samādh of Bābā Aṛak. A mahant claiming descent from Bābā Aṛak manages the Gurdwārā.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)