MĀN SIṄGH, RISĀLDĀR MAJOR (d.1892), son of Devā Siṅgh of Raṛiālā, in Gujrāṅwālā district, now in Pakistan, was a soldier in Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh's army. He was attached to Rājā Suchet Siṅgh's force. He took part in the capture of Peshāwar (1834) and then entered Rājā Hīrā Siṅgh's brigade as a cavalry adjutant. He fought against the British in the first Anglo-Sikh war at Mudkī, Ferozeshāh and Sabhrāoṅ. After the hostilities ceased, he was stationed at Lahore in command of a troop of fifty horse. In 1848, he was sent to Amritsar. After the second Anglo-Sikh war his troop was disbanded and he retired on a pension. In 1852, he joined the police under Col. R. Lawrence, and remained in the force until 1857. At the outbreak of the uprising of 1857, he was despatched to Delhi to join Major Hodson with three troops of cavalry—one raised by Nawāb Imām ud-Dīn Khān, the second by Rājā Tej Siṅgh and the third by himself. This force, first known as Montgomery Sāhib kā Risālā, became the nucleus of the famous Hodson's Horse. Mān Siṅgh served throughout the siege of Delhi. Shortly afterwards he was sent with Colonel Showers' column into the Riwāṛī district and, returning to Delhi about the end of October, was despatched to Lahore by Major Hodson to raise five hundred recruits. In March 1858, Mān Siṅgh reached Lucknow to capture the city just a day after his commandant, Major Hodson, was killed. Mān Siṅgh fought throughout the hot weather campaign of 1858, and was honourably mentioned in dispatches for his gallantry in the battle of Nawābgañj on 13 June when he was severely wounded and his horse was covered with sword cuts. He received for his bravery shown on this occasion the Order of Merit. He served throughout the Oudh campaign of 1858-59, and was present at most of the important actions. At Nandgañj where he captured three guns, he was severely wounded. The government rewarded his services by granting him jāgīrs in Oudh and in the Punjab.
Retiring from service in 1877, Mān Siṅgh lived at Amritsar. He was made an honorary magistrate in 1879, and in the same year was appointed manager of the Golden Temple. He was a Companion of the Order of the Indian Empire, a Provincial Darbārī and a member of the Municipal Committee of Amritsar.
Mān Siṅgh died in 1892.