MAṬṬAN, an old town 4 km east of Anantnāg (33º-44'N, 75º-13'E) in Kashmīr, is sacred to Gurū Nānak, who visited the valley during his journey to the north at the beginning of the sixteenth century. According to the Purātan Janam Sākhī, he held a long discourse with a learned Brāhmaṇ, Brahm Dās, who turned a disciple. As local tradition holds, this discourse was held at Maṭṭan under a chinār tree (Palatanus orientalis) which still stands in the precincts of the shrine established to commemorate the Gurū's visit and now known as Gurdwārā Nānaksar Pātshāhī Pahilī. The present building of the shrine raised during the 1890's replacing the older one constructed by Sardār Harī Siṅgh Nalvā of Sikh times, comprises a rectangular hall, with the sanctum at the far end. A separate room to the north of the central building serves as Gurū kā Laṅgar. The Gurdwārā is affiliated to the Jammū and Kashmīr Gurdwārā Parbandhak Board and is managed through its district unit. An old hand-written bīṛ or copy of the Gurū Granth Sāhib containing 732 folios is preserved in the Gurdwārā.