MEHRĀJ, also spoken as Mahirāj or Marhāj, is a village 6 km northwest of Rāmpurā Phūl (30º-16'N, 75º-14'E) in Baṭhiṇḍā district founded in 1627 by Bhāī Mohan (d. 1630), a Jaṭṭ of the Siddhū clan, with the blessings and help of Gurū Hargobind. According to Sikh tradition, Mohan with his tribe wanted to settle down in this area but the Bhullars, the local dominating tribe, resisted. Mohan sought Gurū Hargobind's blessing and succeeded in founding a village which he called Mehraj after the name of his great grandfather. The Bhullars tried to dislodge him, but were driven away with Gurū Hargobind's help. In the battle Gurū Hargobind had to fight here against an imperial force led by Lallā Beg on 16 December 1634, he took up position around a pool of water about 3 km south of Mehraj. Sikhs, though vastly outnumbered, defeated the attacking force. Lallā Beg and several of his officers and men were killed. Gurū Hargobind had them buried according to Muslim rites while he had the Sikhs fallen in action cremated. A tower subsequently raised indicates the sites where cremation and burial took place.
GURDWĀRĀ CHHOṬĀ GURŪSAR TAMBŪ SĀHIB, one kilometre southwest of the village marks the site where Gurū Hargobind had his tent (tambū, in Punjabi) set up at the time of his first visit to this place. It is a modest-looking shrine built on a low mound and managed by the village saṅgat.
GURDWĀRĀ GURŪSAR MEHRĀJ marks the site of Gurū Hargobind's camp during the battle of Mehrāj. According to Gur Bilās Chhevīṅ Pātshāhī, Gurū Hargobind had himself named this place Gurūsar and declared it a place of pilgrimage, appointing a Ravidāsī Sikh to look after it. The old building constructed by Mahārājā Hīrā Siṅgh of Nābhā (1843-1911) was replaced during the 1980's by the successors of Sant Gurmukh Siṅgh Sevāvāle. The new building, inside a walled compound, comprises a high-ceilinged assembly hall, with the sanctum in the middle marked off by massive square columns and wide arches. Above the sanctum is a domed pavilion lined with glazed tiles and topped by a gold-plated pinnacle and an umbrella-shaped finial with a khaṇḍā at the apex. Domed kiosks adorn the hall corners. The Gurdwārā, endowed with 250 acres of land, is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. People from the surrounding villages throng for a dip in the holy sarovar on every Monday.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)