MORIṆḌĀ (30º-47'N, 76º-29'E), also called Bāgāṅvālā, an old village in Ropaṛ district of the Punjab, has a historical shrine called Gurdwārā Shahīdgañj. On 7 December 1705, as Gurū Gobind Siṅgh along with his two elder sons and a handful of disciples, was locked in an unequal battle with the besieging hordes at Chamkaur, his aged mother, Mātā Gujarī, and the two younger sons, betrayed by their domestic servant, Gaṅgū, were taken into custody at Kheṛi (now Saheṛi) and brought to Moriṇḍā by Jānī Khān and Manī Khān, the Raṅghaṛ headmen. They were despatched the next day to Sirhind where they were bricked alive in a wall and then executed on 13 Poh 1762 Bk/ 12 December 1705 (27 December now according to new calendar). The place where they were interned at Moriṇḍā is now marked by Gurdwārā Shahīd Gañj.
At the end of 1763, the Dal Khālsā, before advancing on Sirhind, attacked and destroyed Moriṇḍā. Jānī Khān and Manī Khān and their entire male progeny were killed .
The Gurdwārā, in the western part of the town, is said to have been built by Rājā Bhūp Siṅgh of Ropaṛ, who also donated a plot of garden-land to it. The present buildings are in a walled compound entered through a double-storeyed gateway. The dīvān hall, with a square sanctum in the middle, stands on a raised base. Buildings for the Laṅgar and for residential accommodation are in a separate enclosure. The Gurdwārā is administered by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)