MOTĀ SIṄGH, SARDĀR BAHĀDUR (b. 1814), son of Mūl Rāj (d. 1819), entered the service of Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh in 1832, and was placed in the battalion of Col. Van Cortlandt. In 1837, he received a command in the Calcuttāvālā Battalion, but, in 1842, was re-placed under Col. Van Cortlandt. He was made adjutant in 1844. After the first Anglo-Sikh war, he was transferred to the Sūraj Mukhī Regiment; at the time of the outbreak in Multān he was adjutant of that corps stationed at ḍerā Ismā'īl Khān. He served throughout the second Anglo-Sikh war. On the annexation of the Punjab, he was appointed adjutant of the 7th Police Battalion, which he assisted to raise and organize. In September 1857, he succeeded Col. Subhān Khān, commanding the 1st Punjab Police Battalion, stationed at Lahore. His regiment guarded jails, treasuries and civil offices, and preserved peace in the city of Lahore. He was honoured with the Star of British India, and the title of Sardār Bahādur, and granted 600 acres of waste land in Lahore district and a life pension of Rs 3,000 per annum.
Sardār Siṅgh Bhāṭīā