MŪLOVĀL, a village 11 km west of Dhūrī (30º-22'N, 75º-53'E) in Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Tegh Bahādur, who visited it in the course of one of his journeys through the Mālvā. According to Sikh chronicles, the Gurū coming from Rājo Mājrā stopped near the village well and asked for water. The villagers said that the water being brackish the well had fallen into disuse and offered to bring water from another place some distance away. Gurū Tegh Bahādur had the well uncovered and declared the water to be sweet. The well so sweetened is still in existence. The Gurū persuaded the villagers to sink nine more wells. He encamped in a thicket about 200 metres west of the village where the people thronged to seek his blessing. But the village headman, Gondā, a worshipper of Sakhī Sarwar, declined the benediction. He left the Gurū's presence, but when he reached home and told his wife what had happened, she chided him for his lack of gratitude to the Gurū who had blessed the entire village. Gondā recanted. He came back to the Gurū and humbly solicited him for pardon. The Gurū gave him his blessing.
On the site where Gurū Tegh Bahādur had stopped, Gurdwārā Pātshāhī Naumī was constructed in 1825 by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh (1798-1845) of Paṭiālā, who also made a land grant for its maintenance. Construction work on a new building commenced in 1944. The central hall, with the sanctum on the original site, was completed in the 1960's. The Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated in the centre on domed platform of white marble with a gold-plated pinnacle mounted by an umbrella-like gold finial. There are decorative domed pavilions at the corners of the hall. The 80-metre square sarovar is outside the compound to the north of it.
The Gurdwārā, though affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, is still managed by Mahant Raṇjīt Siṅgh, a follower of Sant Atar Siṅgh of Mastūāṇā. It has 45 acres of land attached to it. In addition to daily services, the Gurdwārā runs classes for training young people in Sikh music and in the art of expounding the sacred texts. A three-day festival is held on 14, 15 and 16 Poh (28-30 December) every year following a tradition of recent origin that Gurū Gobind Siṅgh had also visited the village on 15 Poh 1761 Bk/ 14 December 1705.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)