MŪṆAK (29º-49'N, 75º-53'E), an old village lying between the River Ghaggar and the Pātṛāṅ Jākhal link road, in Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab, has a historical shrine, called Gurdwārā Akālgaṛh Pātshāhī IX. The name Akālgaṛh derives from the Akālgaṛh Fort constructed at Mūṇak by Mahārājā Amar Siṅgh of Paṭiālā (1748-82). The village itself was renamed Akālgaṛh by him. Gurū Tegh Bahādur halted here briefly while on his way to Makoraṛ and Dhamtān. A Mañji Sāhib established here later was served by a line of mahants. The present building, a square hall, with the square domed sanctum and decorative domes at the hall corners, was constructed in 1953 by a Sikh aristocrat, Harchand Siṅgh Jejī. The possession of the Gurdwārā passed to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee in 1971, but about 15 acres of land, granted originally by the rulers of Paṭiālā, remains with the erstwhile priests.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)