MUNĪARPUR, a small village in Kurukshetra district of Haryāṇā, 13 km east of Thānesar (29º-58'N, 76º-50'E) is sacred to the memory of Gurū Tegh Bahādur who stayed here for a night while on his way from Kurukshetra to ḍuḍḍhī and Banī Badarpur. A low platfrom was erected on the site where the Gurū had encamped outside the village. It was replaced by a modern Gurdwārā constructed in 1959-60 by Sikhs of the surrounding villages, there being few Sikh families in Munīarpur itself. Located inside a walled compound, the Gurdwārā has a small dīvān hall with a sanctum on which the Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated in a glass-panelled pālakī. The shrine is managed by a local committee. Devotees from the neighbouring villages gather on amāvasyā, the last day of the dark half of the month, when kīrtan and community meals take place.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)