NADAUṆ, BATTLE OF, fought on 20 March 1691 between an imperial expeditionary force aided by Rājā Kirpāl Chand of Kāṅgṛā and Rājā Dyāl of Bījhaṛvāl in the Śivālik hills on the one hand and several other neighbouring chieftains who enjoyed the support of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh on the other. The hill barons taking advantage of Emperor Auraṅgzīb's preoccupation with Marāṭhā insurgency in the South had neglected to pay their annual tributes into the imperial treasury. Early in 1691 orders were issued to Hifzullah Khān alias Mīāṅ Khān, Governor of Jammū, to realize the arrears. Mīāṅ Khān despatched a punitive force under Alif Khān. Two of the chieftains, Rājā Kirpāl Chand and Rājā Dyāl, submitted without opposition and in fact became Alif Khān's allies. Rājā Bhīm Chand of Kahlūr (Bilāspur), who rallied the rest of the rulers to make resistance, solicited Gurū Gobind Siṅgh for help. The Gurū came to his assistance with a body of his chosen Sikhs. The two armies met at Nadauṇ on the left bank of the River Beās, 32 km southeast of Kāṅgṛā and 12 km from the temple town of Javālāmukhī. Gurū Gobind Siṅgh described in his autobiographical poem, Bachitra Nāṭak, the action that took place. As the enemy, he says, advanced with Dyāl and Kirpāl in the van, a fierce battle commenced. It however did not take long to decide the issue. "The Almighty God hastened the end of the fight and the opposing host was pushed back into the river... Alif Khān fled in utter disārray leaving his camp to take care of itself..."Gurdwārā Pātshāhī Dāsvīṅ on the west bank of the River Beās commemorates the battle. The sanctum, a 6-metre square room with doors on four sides, has a dome with a brass pinnacle. The Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated on a raised platform. The present building was got constructed by Rāi Bahādur Baisākha Siṅgh in 1929. The Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, which took over control of the shrine in 1935, now administers it through a local committee.
Nirañjan Siṅgh Sāthī