NĀHAN (30º-33'N, 77º-17'E), situated on top of a ridge in the upper reaches of Mārkaṇḍā River, in Sirmūr district of Himachal Pradesh, and formerly the capital of the princely state of Sirmūr, has a historical gurdwārā dedicated to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh. Gurū Gobind Siṅgh visited Nāhan in 1685 on the invitation of the ruler of the state, Rājā Medinī Prakāsh. The Rājā offered him land on the bank of the Yamunā to build for himself a permanent abode. This led to the foundation of Pāoṇṭā Sāhib, where Gurū Gobind Siṅgh stayed for the next three years.
A Mañjī Sāhib was established where the Gurū had stayed at Nāhan. It has since been replaced by a handsome, though small, shrine known as Gurdwārā Gurū Gobind Siṅgh Sāhib Pātshāhī 10. The new building, completed in 1954, has a square dīvān hall, with a marble canopied throne for the Gurū Granth Sāhib. The lotus dome above the hall surrounded by decorative cupolas, is covered with marble slabs and carries a golden pinnacle. A committee of local saṅgat manages the shrine.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)