NARINDER SIṄGH, MAHĀRĀJĀ (1824-1862), born at Paṭiālā on 26 November 1824, succeeded his father, Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh, to the Paṭiālā throne on 18 January 1846. Narinder Siṅgh aided the British with supplies and carriage during the first Anglo-Sikh war and was rewarded with additional estates, especially from Nābhā territory. After the annexation of the Sikh State of Lahore to the British dominions in March 1849, the Paṭiālā ruler was generally acknowledged as a spokesman for the Sikh community. Mahārājā Narinder Siṅgh cemented his alliance with the British by his ready support of guns, carriage, loans and troops during the uprising of 1857. Once again he was rewarded with estates and with new titles and honours. He received the grant of Nārnaul division of the Jhajjar territory valued at 2,00,000 rupees. He was invested with the Order of the Star of India on 6 November 1861 and, in 1862, he was made a member of the Viceroy's Legislative Council.
Mahārājā Narinder Siṅgh was a great builder and also a patron of art and literature. He set up in 1861 a seat in Paṭiālā for Nirmalā Sikhs known as Dharam Dhujā. He also raised a gurdwārā out side of Motī-bāgh Palace commemorating Gurū Tegh Bahādur's visit.
Narinder Siṅgh died at Paṭiālā on 13 November 1862 after a short illness and was succeeded by his ten-year-old son, Mohinder Siṅgh.
Sardār Siṅgh Bhāṭīā