NATHĀṆĀ, village 35 km northeast of Baṭhiṇḍā (30º -14'N, 74º -59'E) in the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Hargobind, who came here after the battle of Gurūsar Mehrāj in December 1634. Kālu Nāth, a yogī living at Nathāṇā, who had served the Gurū during the battle with food and milk for his Sikhs, now came out personally to make obeisance and receive the Gurū's blessings. According to Bhāī Santokh Siṅgh, Srī Gur Pratāp Sūraj Granth, the Gurū stayed overnight at Nathāṇā and left for Kāṅgaṛ the next day. Gurdwārā Mañjī Sāhib Pātshāhī Chhevīṅ now commemorating the Gurū's visit stands on the bank of the village pond. The present building, constructed in 1957, is a large assembly hall, with the domed sanctum at the far end. Ancillary accommodation including Gurū kā Laṅgar and two rows of rooms for staff and visitors is in an adjacent spacious compound. The Gurdwārā owns 25 acres of land and is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. Besides the daily services, important anniversaries on the Sikh calendar are marked by special dīvāns. The largest-attended among them is the annual festival on new-moon eve of the lunar month of Chet (March) at the shrine of Kālū Nāth located in the centre of the village.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)