NAURAṄGĀBĀD, village 7 km southeast of Tarn Tāran (31º-27'N, 74º -56'E) along the Tarn Tāran—Goindvāl road, came into prominence when during the 1840's the Gurdwārā established here by Bābā Bīr Siṅgh (1768-1844), reputed for his sanctity, started attracting devotees and pilgrims in hundreds every day. During the crisis that followed the assassination of Mahārājā Sher Siṅgh on 15 September 1843, and the entrenchment in power of Hīrā Siṅgh ḍogrā and his mentor, Paṇḍit Jallā, Bābā Bīr Siṅgh's ḍerā or seat at Nauraṅgābād, became a rallying point for protesting soldiers and political fugitives, including such personages as Prince Pashaurā Siṅgh, Prince Kashmīrā Siṅgh and Sardār Atar Siṅgh Sandhāṅvālīā. Bābā Bīr Siṅgh having refused to surrender the Princes and the Sardār, Hīrā Siṅgh ordered a military attack on the ḍerā. The holy man advised the inmates not to resort to arms against the attackers who were their own brothers-in-faith. Despite this Hīrā Siṅgh's artillery blasted the ḍerā 27 Baisākh 1902 Bk/7 May 1844 killing several hundred men, including Sardār Atar Singh, Prince Kashmīrā Siṅgh and the aged Bābā Bīr Siṅgh. The Bābā's samādh or memorial shrine and the Gurdwārā, renovated in 1960, still attracts visitors. An annual fair is held on 27 Baisākh.