NIDHĀN SIṄGH CHUGGHĀ (1855-1936), a prominent Ghadr leader, was the son of Sundar Siṅgh of the village of Chugghā, in Mogā district. A militant revolutionary, he was cited by the British as "an extremely dangerous criminal and one of the worst and most important of the [Ghadr] conspirators." In 1882, Nidhān Siṅgh left home for Shanghai where he worked as a watchman and served as treasurer of the local Gurdwārā. He married a Chinese woman from whom he had one son. He lived in Shanghai for many years and then migrated to the United States of America. Shortly after his arrival in the United States, the, Ghadr Party was formed by Indian patriots. Nidhān Siṅgh joined the Party and was elected a member of its executive committee. In April 1914, he was elected president of the then newly established Khālsā Dīwān Society, Stockton, California. On the outbreak of World War I, he, like other Ghadr leaders, returned to India to make an armed rebellion against the British. He left San Francisco on board the S. S. Korea on 29 August 1914. He disembarked at Nagasaki in Japan and went on to Shanghai to raise funds for the Ghadr Party. Money which had been collected for the Komagata Maru passengers, who were not allowed to land in Shanghai, was transferred to Nidhān Siṅgh. With this money and with six automatic pistols and 600 rounds of ammunition Nidhān Siṅgh left Shanghai aboard the S.S. Mashima Maru. This ship and the Tosa Maru, both carrying Ghadr volunteers, arrived in Penang in Malaysia approximately the same time and were detained by the British. Nidhān Siṅgh spent the time trying to seduce the troops and getting arms but without much success. He was a member of the delegation which called on the Governor of Penang, who allowed the ships to proceed.

         Nidhān Siṅgh reached Ludhiāṇā on 7 November 1914. He was almost immediately assigned to making preparations for an armed uprising in the district. He played a key role in setting up factories for making bombs at Jhābevāl and Lohaṭbaḍī. Nidhān Siṅgh made a plan to raid the regimental magazine at Fīrozpur Cantonment on 30 November 1914, but it did not materialize. He was arrested disguised as a wandering mendicant at the village of Kamālpurā, along with Ṛūṛ Siṅgh of Chūhaṛ Chakk on 29 April 1915. Tried in the first Lahore conspiracy case, Nidhān Siṅgh was awarded death sentence which was later commuted to transportation for life.

         A deeply religious person and a staunch believer in the Sikh faith, Nidhān Siṅgh was one of the Pañj Piāre who laid the foundation of the Harimandar at Pañjā Sāhib on 14 October 1932. He was president of Gurdwārā Lohgaṛh (Dīnā), and of Gurdwārā Sabhā, Mogā, for some time.

         He died on 6 December 1936 at Mogā.


  1. Jas, Jaswant Siṅgh, Desh Bhagat Bābe. Jalandhar, 1975
  2. Deol, Gurdev Siṅgh, Ghadr Pārṭī ate Bhārat dā Qaumī Andolan. Amritsar, 1970
  3. Ganguly, A.B., Ghadr Movement in America.
  4. Khushwant Siṅgh and Satindra Siṅgh, Ghadr 1915. Delhi, 1966
  5. Randhir Siṅgh, The Ghadr Heroes. Bombay, 1945
  6. Khālsā Sevak. Amritsar, 11 December 1936
  7. Rozānā Ajīt. Jalandhar, 1 May 1975
  8. Aslī Qaumī Dard. 5 December 1930

Gurdev Siṅgh Deol