NIRMOHGAṚH SĀHIB, GURDWĀRĀ, situated on top of a low hill 4 km south of Kīratpur (31º -11'N, 76º -35'E), is dedicated to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh. In August 1700, Anandpur, which was then the seat of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, was attacked by a combined force of several of the surrounding hill chiefs. For four days, their troops assaulted successively the four fortresses built around the main citadel, Anandgaṛh, but they found all of them impregnable. Finally, they laid a siege to Anandgaṛh in the hope of starving the Sikhs into surrender, but without effect. They then resorted to a ruse. They offered peace to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh upon solemn oaths, only if he would leave Anandpur temporarily to enable them to lift the siege with honour. The Gurū agreed and on 2 October 1700 retired to a camp set up on the hills around the village of Hardo Namoh. The hilltop where he had established himself came to be known as Narmohgaṛh or Nirmohgaṛh. The hill rājās did not keep their word, and again surrounded the Sikhs. The latter repulsed their attacks which, according to the Bhaṭṭ Vahīs, took place on 7, 12, and 13 October 1700. On 14 October, Gurū Gobind Siṅgh and his Sikhs broke the cordon and crossed the Sutlej into Basohlī, a small friendly state.
It is said that, during the siege of Nirmohgaṛh, the hill chiefs succeeded in requisitioning the services of some imperial troops, including a cannoneer. Just at the opening of the next engagement, the cannoneer fired a shot aimed at Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, who was sitting on the top of Nirmohgaṛh hill. The Gurū, however, remained unhurt, although an attendant, Bhāī Rām Siṅgh, was killed . The Gurū instantly picked his bow and arrow and pierced the cannoneer dead. The site now has a memorial in the shape of small single-room gurdwārā. The gurdwārā is managed by the Nihaṅgs.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)