PALĀHĪ, village 4 km north of Phagwāṛā (31º-14'N, 75º-46'E) in the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Hargobind, who passed through it in 1635 on his way from Kartārpur to Kīratpur. According to the Bhaṭṭ Vahī Talauḍā, a skirmish between the Mughal troops and the Gurū's followers, generally described as the battle of Phagwāṛā, took place here on 29 April 1635. Later, Gurū Har Rāi also visited the place. Gurdwārā Chhevīn Pātshāhī , commemorating the martyrs who laid down their lives in the battle, is in the eastern part of the village, with the sanctum where the Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated at one end. The building is topped by a gold-plated pinnacle and umbrella shaped finial. In a garden close by are the Gurū kā Laṅgar and some residential rooms. The Gurdwārā is managed by a local committee under the auspices of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. A major annual celebration is the three day religious fair in the month of June to mark the birthday of Gurū Hargobind.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)