PHAGGŪVĀLĀ, village l9 km east of Saṅgrūr (30º-14'N, 75º-50'E) in the Punjab, has a historical shrine dedicated to Gurū Tegh Bahādur, who halted here during one of his travels through the Mālvā country. Gurdwārā Pātshāhī Naumī, to the south of the village, marks the site where the Gurū had stayed. Phaggūvālā village did not exist at the time of the Gurū's visit. According to local tradition, Gurū Tegh Bahādur, who coming from Bhavānīgaṛh (30º-14'N,76º-3'E), 3 km to the east, was travelling westward, was served here by a Brāhmaṇ working in the fields, who, after the Gurū's departure, built a platfrom which came to be worshipped as a sacred shrine. Later, a small gurdwārā was established in a mud but where an annual religious fair was held to celebrate the festival of Basant Pañchamī. The present building was constructed on the old site in the 1960's. It consists of a semi octagonal sanctum with a square hall in front of it. The sanctum has a domed-octagonal room above it. Besides the Gurdwārā, the walled compound has within it rooms for pilgrims, Gurū kā Laṅgar, and a sarovar. The Gurdwārā owns 14 acres of land and is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. Special gatherings take place on the fifth day of the light half of each lunar month and on important anniversaries on the Sikh calendar.
An Akālī politician who belonged to this village made himself famous as Jāgīr Siṅgh Phaggūvālīā (1899-1974) for his steadfast work for his party.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)