PHARVĀHĪ, a village 5 km southeast of Barnālā (30º-22'N, 75º-32'E) in Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab, has a historical Gurdwārā dedicated to Gurū Tegh Bahādur who, according to local tradition, arrived here from Kattū in 1665 and stayed overnight. It is said that when the saṅgat requested the Gurū to leave someone behind to instruct them in the way of true worship, he replied that from the village itself would arise such a dedicated spirit. The people believe that the person alluded to was Bhāī Sobhā Siṅgh who first established, in 1750, a gurdwārā on the site consecrated by Gurū Tegh Bahādur's stay, and who served it for 60 years. His disciple and successor was Bābā Thammān Siṅgh. Widely known for his piety, he was extremely outspoken. Once in his eccentricity he not only prophesied the extinction of Sikh states at the hands of the Russians but also held illuminations to celebrate the "occasion." When the news reached Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh, the ruler of Paṭiālā in whose territory Phārvāhī then lay, he had Thamman Siṅgh's tongue slashed and banished him from his territory. However, the derā named after him at Pharvāhī still exists..
Gurdwārā Sāhib Pātshāhī Naumī, at the northern edge of the village, continued to be maintained by the village saṅgat. The original building constructed by Bhāī Sobhā Siṅgh had a hall with a square sanctum added to it. In recent years the Mañjī Sāhib has been replaced by a low-ceiling hall. The Gurdwārā has 28 acres of land and is administered by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)