PIÑJAUR, famous for its historic Mughal gardens, is a small town, 18 km northeast of Chaṇḍigarh (30º-44'N, 76º-47'E). Gurdwārā Pahilī Pātshāhī Mañjī Sāhib, close to the ancient remains of Dhārā Maṇḍap, about 75 metres from the Yādavindra Gardens, commemorates the visit of Gurū Nānak who arrived here from Kālkā on 15 Assū 1574 Bk/13 September 1517 in the course of his travels through these parts. Here he discoursed with yogīs assembled at Dhārā Maṇḍap and impressed upon them the futility of self-torture and renunciation as a means to liberation. Only a small mañjī sāhib or platform existed on the spot until Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh of Paṭiālā (1798-1845) had the present gurdwārā constructed, Piñjaur having become part of Paṭiālā state in 1778, during the rule of Rājā Amar Siṅgh. The Gurdwārā is situated on a raised plinth, with a small cout in front. The central double-storeyed structure, where the Gurū Granth Sāhib is installed, is topped by a four-cornered low dome and is surrounded by a circumambulatory verandah. An annual fair is held on Baisākh sudī 3 (April) to celebrate the birth anniversary of Gurū Nānak. The management is in the hands of the local committee of Gurdwārā Nāḍā Sāhib, under the overall control of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee.
The gardens formerly known as Piñjaur Gardens or Mughal Gardens acquired the new name from the late Mahārājā Yādavinder Siṅgh of Paṭiālā, who died suddenly on 17 June 1974 and in whose territory Piñjaur lay during his days of authority.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)