RĀIPUR RĀṆĪ, a large village on the left bank of the River Ṭāṅgrī, 42 km from Chaṇḍigaṛh (30º-44'N, 76º- 47'E), was formerly a small hill principality. At the time of the battle of Bhaṅgāṇī in 1688, it was ruled by the widow of Rāo Fateh Siṅgh. She was a follower of the Gurū and had not joined the other hill chiefs in their battle against him. After the battle of Bhaṅgāṇī, Gurū Gobind Siṅgh left Pāoṇṭā Sāhib for Anandpur. As he was, on the way, encamped at Māṇak Ṭabrā, across the Ṭāṅgrī, the Rāṇī went there to see him and to invite him for a meal in her own fortress. The Gurū accepted the invitation and was served with devotion and reverence. Upon the Rāṇī's prayer, he blessed her son's line to continue with dignity, and made him the gift of a sword and shield. The town thereafter came to be known as Rāṇī kā Rāipur or Rāipur Rāṇī. A small shrine known as Gurdwārā Dasvīṅ Pātshāhī still exists inside the fortress commemorating Gurū Gobind Siṅgh 's visit as the Rāṇī's guest. It consists of a platform inside a small room under the intertwined pīpal and nim trees close to the main entrance to the old fortress, with a separate room for the Gurū Granth Sāhib. A lady especially employed by the Rāo's family looks after the shrine.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)