RĀJ MAHAL (25º-2'N, 87º-47'E), a small town on the right bank of the River Gaṅgā, in Santhāl Parganā district of Bihār, was visited by Gurū Tegh Bahādur in the course of his journey through the eastern districts in 1666. According to Sikh chronicles, Rāj Mahal had been visited by Gurū Nānak early in the sixteenth century. A Nānakpanthī saṅgat had come into existence here. Bhāī Bhānū, a prominent Sikh of the time of Gurū Hargobind, belonged to Rāj Mahal. At present, however, there are no Sikh inhabitants. An Udāsī monastery, called Gurdwārā Udāsīn, still exists, but the Gurū Granth Sāhib is not installed in the building, nor is the Sikh worship practised.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)