RAṆVĀṄ, village in Fatehgaṛh Sāhib district, 15 km east of Samrālā (30º-48'N, 76º-12'E) in Ludhiāṇā district, is celebrated for the historical shrine, Gurdwārā Gobindgaṛh Sāhib Pātshāhī VI and X. Pātshāhī VI has been added to the name of the Gurdwārā only recently by inhabitants of the village in the belief that Gurū Hargobind also passed through here while travelling after the battle of Mehrāj in 1634. Older accounts relate the shrine only to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh who made a brief halt in the course of his journey back from Kurukshetra to Anandpur during 1702-03. Tārā Siṅgh Narotam relates it to the Tenth Gurū's outwards journey towards Kurukshetra and locates it at Saṅghol, a larger and older village a few kilometres to the east.
The Gurdwārā was constructed by Mahārājā Karam Siṅgh of Paṭiālā (1798-1845), who also made an endowment of 300 bighās of land. A line of hereditary mahants managed the shrine until it was acquired by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. The reconstruction of the Gurdwārā was commenced in the early sixties by Sant Piārā Siṅgh of Jhāṛ Sāhib, who died in 1965. Since then Sant Surjīt Siṅgh has been supervising the work. The present building is a magnificent six- storeyed structure. The main hall is 31-metre square with an eight-metre square sanctum in the middle of it. Above it on the first floor are octagonal domed pavilions at the corners and a square hall over the sanctum. There are three more storeys, with a dome at the top. The domes are surfaced with white glazed tile chips. The management of the shrine is in the hands of Sant Surjīt Siṅgh. The first of each Bikramī month is observed as a festival.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)