SANDHVĀṄ, village 13 km northeast of Phagwāṛā (31º-14'N, 75º-46'E), in Nawānshahr district of the Punjab, claims a historical shrine dedicated to Gurū Har Rāi (1630-61), who passed through here while on his way from Kartārpur to Kīratpur. The shrine, called Gurdwārā Ḍaṇḍā Sāhib Srī Gurū Har Rāi Sāhib Pātshāhī VII, marks the site, about 300 metres to the west of the old village, where the Gurū is believed to have stopped awhile to meet the waiting saṅgat. According to local tradition, the Gurū stuck his walking staff (Ḍaṇḍā, in Punjabi, hence the name of the Gurdwārā) in the soft soil which later sprouted into a tree. The dried trunk of the tree stands inside a square hall which has in its middle the sanctum. The present building was constructed during the 1960's replacing the small old domed mañjī sāhib. The Gurdwārā is managed by the village saṅgat.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)