SATKARTĀRĪĀS, a religious sect only remotely related to Sikhism was founded by Saṅgat Dās, a Julkā Khatrī, contemporary of Gurū Hargobind (1595-1644). The name Satkartārīā is derived from, Saṅgat Dās preceptor, Bhāī Saṅgtīā, a Soḍhī of Lahore, who was initiated into Sikhism by Gurū Arjan in 1593 and who used to repeat the words Sat Kartār (lit. the True Creator) and earned thereby the popular epithet of Satkartārīā. Saṅgat Dās inherited the epithet and the sect came to be known as Satkartārīā. Satkartār is still their form of salutation as well as their formula for meditation. Saṅgat Dās enjoyed the favour of Gurū Hargobind who allowed him to set up his own dharamsālā or place of worship at Srī Hargobindpur on the bank of the river Beās, in Gurdāspur district. This place, a four-storeyed building known as Dharamsālā Satkartārīāṅ, is till today the principal centre of the sect. Another centre was established at Phagwāṛā, in Kapūrthalā district, by Darbārī Dās, the younger son of Saṅgat Dās. A third centre is at Maṇḍī, a district town in Himāchal Pradesh. Another centre at Baṭālā in Gurdāspur district was taken over by Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee in 1940. It is still called Gurdwārā Satkartārīāṅ.
Satkartārīās generally follows the Udāsī ritual and practices. Their only link with Sikhism is that their dharamsālā at Srī Hargobindpur has the Gurū Granth Sāhib installed in it. A suite of armour kept as a sacred relic there is claimed to have been bestowed on Bābā Saṅgat Dās by Gurū Hargobind.