SEKHĀ, a village 11 km east of Barnālā (30º-23N, 75º-32'E) in Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab, has a historical shrine, Gurdwārā Sāhib Gurū Sar Pātshāhī Nauvīṅ, situated on a low mound. According to local tradition, Gurū Tegh Bahādur arrived here from Mūlovāl on 22 December 1665 and stayed for two days. In those days there were 22 villages around here inhabited by peasant of the Javandā clan. They were followers of a bairāgī ascetic, Durgā Dās, and their chief Tilokā, took no notice of the Gurū and his Sikhs. However, a person of humbler station, Durgū by name, served him with devotion. As Gurū Tegh Bahādur saw Tilokā walk past in pride wearing silver slippers, he enquired from his audience the name of the passer-by. They answered that he was Tilokā, the master of 22 villages of the Javandās. "He lacks intelligence" remarked the Gurū. Tilokā soon realized his error and sought the Gurū's pardon for his insolence, through his sister at Kaṭṭū, where the Gurū had his next halt.
The memorial platform built on the mound near a water pool was in course of time developed into a gurdwārā. The cornerstone of the present building constructed by Sant Kirpāl Siṅgh of Chhannā was laid on 20 May 1940. It comprises a hall with a square sanctum within it and a verandah on three sides. A lotus dome rises above the sanctum. The old water pool has been converted into a sarovar. Close by is the Gurū kā Laṅgar. The Gurdwārā owns over 25 acres of land and is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)