SHAMSHER SIṄGH SANDHĀṄVĀLĪĀ (1816-1871) was son of Buddh Siṅgh and a collateral of Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh. Shamsher Siṅgh distinguished himself as a soldier and served on active duty in the Peshāwar area. He was by nature averse to politics and took no part in courtly intrigues which engulfed Lahore after the death of Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh. Shamsher Siṅgh maintained his position at the Darbār and was appointed a member of the Council of Regency in December 1846. In February 1848, the Resident at Lahore placed the civil and military establishments in Amritsar under his charge. In 1857, he raised a troop of 125 horsemen, which formed part of Hodson's Horse. In February 1862, he was given full, revenue, civil and criminal powers of a deputy commissioner in his own jāgīr.
Shamsher Siṅgh died issueless in 1871.
B. J. Hasrat