SĪLOĀṆĪ, village 9 km from Rāikoṭ town (30º-39'N, 75º-37'E), is sacred to the memory of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, who visited the place travelling through the Mālvā after the battle of Chamkaur in December 1705. Gurdwārā Berī Sāhib Pātshāhī Dāsvīṅ commemorates the spot where Gurū Gobind Siṅgh alighted for rest under a berī tree. It is here that Rāi Kalhā, the chief of Rāikoṭ, first met the Gurū. The Rāi was camping at Sīloāṇī which formed part of his territory. Gurū Gobind Siṅgh was still dressed as a Muslim divine. When he disclosed his identity, Rāi Kalhā felt very happy and escorted him to his own town of Rāikoṭ.
The original Mañjī Sāhib at Sīloāṇī is a small domed room, near the berī tree, later extended by adding a rectangular hall and a verandah in front. Another room as an extension to the hall was added in 1967. The hall and the sanctum have now a mosaic floor inset with multicoloured geometrical designs. The Gurdwārā is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)