SIRSĀ, pronounced Sarsā (29º-33'N, 75º-04'E), in Haryāṇā, once famous as a seat of Muslim Sūfīs and anchorites has two historical Sikh shrines :
GURDWĀRĀ CHILHĀ SĀHIB PĀTSHĀHĪ 1. Gurū Nānak once visited Sirsā and held discourse with the holy men, stressing the futility of withdrawal from the world and of undergoing austerities. A small shrine commemorating the visit of the Gurū stands near the Khānaqāh of Pañj Pīrs in the north western corner of the town. Two engraved stones in the shrine carry the inscription Chilhā Bāvā Sāhib Nānak Dervish. The shrine used to be looked after by Muslim priests of the Khānaqāh. When they left after Partition in 1947, the premises were taken over by the Waqf Board. The place has since been acquired by the Sikhs, and a new complex known as Gurdwārā Chilha Sāhib Pātshāhī 1 has been developed, 200 metres west of the bigger Gurdwārā in memory of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh.
GURDWĀRĀ SRĪ GURŪ GOBIND SIṄGH JĪ. Gurū Gobind Siṅgh stayed at Sirsā on his way from Damdamā Sāhib (Talvaṇḍī Sābo) to the South in 1706. He encamped near a pond known as Lakkhī Talāo. It was here that Ḍallā Siṅgh deserted the Gurū. From here the Gurū went to Khuḍāl to rescue one Gulāb Siṅgh, goldsmith, held in captivity by the local Muslim chief. A gurdwārā was later raised on the bank of Lakkhī Talāo by Mahārājā Hīrā Siṅgh of Nābhā. The possession of the gurdwārā passed to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee in 1928. In 1958 Sant Baghel Siṅgh, on a request from some leading Sikhs of the area, took up reclamation of the tank and reconstruction of the Gurdwārā. The Gurdwārā now consists of a hall standing on marbled platform, with a ribbed lotus dome on top. The entire exterior as well as the interior including the dome is covered with white marble. In front of the platform there is a large pavilion with vaulted roof for holding larger assemblies. Within the walled compound are the holy tank, a high school, a semi, and a plain flat-roofed room which is Bābā Baghel Siṅgh's samādh. Gurū kā Laṅgar is in a separate old building.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)