SRĪ GOBINDPUR, or SRĪ HARGOBINDPUR (30º-41'N, 75º-29'E), a small town in Gurdāspur district of the Punjab, located on the bank of the River Beās, was originally a ruined mound of a village called Ruhelā, which formed part of the estates of Chandū Shāh, dīwān of the Mughal times. Gurū Hargobind came here from Kartārpur during the rainy season probably of 1629 and, pleased at the attractive view the site commanded, he rehabilitated it and named it Srī Gobindpur. But because of his own association with it, the place came to be known as Srī Hargobindpur, a name still commonly used. According to another version, the village was established on the ruins of Ruhelā by Gurū Arjan Dev in 1587 and named Srī Gobindpur, but it was appropriated by Bhagvān Dās Gheraṛ helped by Chandū's machination. Gurū Hargobind recovered it after four decades. Bhagvān Dās, a rich Khatrī of Gheraṛ clan, challenged Gurū Hargobind and asked him to vacate the site. In the skirmish that occurred, Bhagvān Dās was killed. His son, Ratan Chand, with the help of Chandū's son, Karam Chand, sought the assistance of the faujdār of Jalandhar, who sent with them an armed body of troops to expel the Gurū. The attack launched by this force, however, aborted and both Ratan Chand and Karam Chand were killed. Two shrines commemorate Gurū Hargobind's stay at Ruhelā.
GURŪ KĪ HAVELĪ, formerly called Gurū ke Mahal, is now an extensive ruined compound in the centre of the town. It is the private property of a branch of the Soḍhī family of Kartārpur. The Nihangs have lately established a single roomed Gurdwārā here, and the former owners have taken the matter to the court.
GURŪ KĪ MASĪT, or the Gurū's mosque, is in the eastern part of the town overlooking the riverbed. Sikh chronicles record that Gurū Hargobind had a mosque as well as a dharamsālā built for use by Muslim and Hindu settlers in the town. The Nihaṅgs have now established a Gurdwārā in the mosque which had remained deserted since the partition of the country in 1947.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)