SUNĀM (30º-7'N, 75º-48'E),an ancient town in Saṅgrūr district of the Punjab, was visited by Gurū Nānak during his travels through the Mālvā region. According to local tradition, he first stayed on the bank of the Sirhind stream, near what is now called Sītā Sar. From there a devotee took him to his own house where a shrine was later established. It is located in the Gurdwārā Mohallā and is known as Gurdwārā Pahilī Pātshāhī. The building constructed in 1919 was renovated in 1966. It consists of a rectangular hall, with a gallery at one end and a verandah in front. The sanctum in the centre of the hall is richly painted in multi-coloured floral and geometrical designs. Three volumes of the Gurū Granth Sāhib are seated in it behind pīpal-leaf archways.
There is a domed tower in front of the verandah. Rooms for the granthī and Gurū kā Laṅgar are across a narrow brick-paved courtyard. The Gurdwārā is managed by a committee representing the saṅgat of the locality.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)