SYLHEṬ (24º-53'N, 91º-52'E), a district town in present-day Bangladesh, was visited by Gurū Nānak in 1507-08. A Sikh saṅgat was established and a dharamsālā constructed here to commemorate the holy visit. The saṅgat was in existence in the time of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh which fact is attested by a hukamnāmā issued by Gurū Gobind Siṅgh to saṅgats in Ḍhākā, Chittagong, Sondip and Sylhet asking them to send a war elephant to the Gurū. In another hukamnāmā, these four saṅgats have been directed to send their offerings of cash, cloth, weapons and shields through Bhāī Hulās Chand alone who would take them to the Gurū on the occasion of Dīvālī. The shrine is known to have existed until the partition of the country in 1947. Later, the East Pakistan government acquired the building and converted it into residential and office accommodation.