TĀRĀPUR, a village 5 km east of Anandpur (31º-14N, 76º-31'E) in Ropaṛ district of the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh who constructed a fortress here after his return from Pāoṇṭā in 1688. He also had a bāolī (open well with steps leading down to water level) dug to ensure supply of water for the garrison. The Tarāgaṛh Fort, one of a chain of defensive fortifications of Anandpur, is no longer in existence. The commemorative shrine, Gurdwārā Qilā Tarāgaṛh, stands about 250 metres east of the village, and is under the control of the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. Near the old bāolī on the bank of a small stream, stands the samādhī or cenotaph of Bhāī Kanhaiyā, a dedicated Sikh of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh's time who served water and gave help to soldiers wounded in battle, without distinction of friend or foe.