ṬOKĀ SĀHIB, GURDWĀRĀ, established in honour of Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, who stayed here for a few days in 1688, is on the border of Himāchal Pradesh and Haryāṇā. The Gurdwārā is in Sirmur district of Himāchal Pradesh, but the nearest village Ṭoṭā, about one kilometre to the southeast, is in Ambālā district of Haryāṇā. The Gurdwārā is a modest flat-roofed room, with an all-round verandah. An improvised hut near by serves as the residence of a lone Nihaṅg who looks after the shrine. There is an old well here which, according to an inscription, was dug in 1823 "in memory of Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh and Nawāb Fateh Siṅgh Ahlūwālīā." According to another slab (inscribed only in 1968), Gurū Gobind Siṅgh came here with 2200 horsemen on 4 Baisākh 1742 Bk/ 1 April 1685 to help Rājā Medinī Prakāsh of Nāhan. According to Gurūshabad Ratanākar Mahān Kosh and Twārīkh Gurū Khālsā, however, Gurū Gobind Siṅgh halted here on his way back from Pāoṇṭā to Anandpur in 1688.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)