VALLĀ, village 7 km east of Amritsar (31º-38'N, 74º-53'E) along the Amritsar-Srī Hargobindpur road, is sacred to Gurū Tegh Bahādur, who visited herein November 1664. According to Bhāī Santokh Siṅgh, Srī Gur Pratāp Sūraj Granth, the Gurū had come on a visit to the Harimandar, Amritsar, but the masands or ministrants shut the doors against him. Gurū Tegh Bahādur sat outside the Harimandar for some time and departed saying, "The masands of Amritsar are burning with the fire of ambition," and came to Vallā where he sat under a pīpal tree, outside the village. The village saṅgat led by a devout old lady, Māī Harīāṅ, came to offer obeisance. At their request the Gurū repaired to Māī Harīāṅ's house inside the village. The saṅgat of Amritsar on learning how the Gurū had been treated by the masands felt distressed. A group of ladies came on its behalf to Vallā to atone for what the masands had done. Gurū Tegh Bahādur blessed them saying, "Māīāṅ rabb rajāīān (Upon women may rest God's favour)." There are two gurdwārās commemorating the Gurū's visit.
GURDWĀRĀ VALLĀ SĀHIB, on the western outskirts of the village, marks the spot where Gurū Tegh Bahādur had first alighted.
GURDWĀRĀ KOṬHA SĀHIB, inside the village, represents the house (koṭhā in Punjabi) of Māī Harīāṅ where Gurū Tegh Bahādur had stayed. The present building, raised after 1905 to replace the old one badly damaged in an earthquake, comprises a hall with a square sanctum in the middle of it. There is a domed room above the sanctum. A small 8-metre square sarovar is to the left and residential accommodation to the right of the central building as one enters. Gurū kā Laṅgar is at the back. The Gurdwārā is managed by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee through a local committee. A largely attended fair is held on the full-moon day of the month of Māgh (January-February).