WAZĪRĀBĀD (32º-26'N, 74º-7'E), a sub-divisional town in Gujrāṅwālā district of Pakistan is sacred to Gurū Hargobind (1595-1644), who halted here briefly while returning from his visit to Kashmīr in 1620. Bhāī Khem Chand, a local Sikh, placed at the Gurū's disposal his own house (koṭhā, in Punjabi) which was subsequently turned into what came to be known as Gurdwārā Gurū Koṭhā Chhevīṅ Pātshāhī. According to local tradition, Bhāī Khem Chand died during Gurū Hargobind's stay here and the Gurū himself performed his funeral rites. A memorial to him in the form of a tower was later raised within the premises of the Gurdwārā. Before it was abandoned in 1947, the Gurdwārā was managed by Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee, Amritsar. Religious fairs to celebrate Basant Pañchami (in February) and Dīvālī (in November) used to attract devotees in large numbers.
During the Sikh rule, Wazīrābād was the headquarters of a district administered for a time by General Avitabile, a French officer in the service of Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh.
Major Gurmukh Siṅgh (Retd.)