LAHIṆĀ SIṄGH MAJĪṬHĪĀ (d. 1854), son of Desā Siṅgh Majīṭhīā, was commander, civil and military administrator, and one of the principal sardārs of the Sikh court. Of all the Majīṭhīās associated with the ruling family of Lahore, Lahiṇā Siṅgh was the ablest and most ingenious. He succeeded his father Desā Siṅgh in 1832 as the nāzim (governor) of Kāṅgṛā and the hill districts, with the title of Qaisar ul-Iqtidār. Earlier, he had served the Mahārājā in various capacities. He commanded 2 battalions of infantry, a topkhānā of 10 light and field guns, and 1,500 horse. In 1831, he was assigned to the task of collecting monies from the Nakaīs; the same year, he along with General Ventura took part in the Ḍerā Ismā'īll Khān expedition. At the court, he often acted as chief of protocol, receiving and looking after important foreign dignitaries. On several occasions, he led goodwill missions on behalf of the Mahārājā. Like his father, he held charge of the management of Srī Harimandar Sāhib, Amritsar.

         Lahiṇā Siṅgh was a man of learning and was especially interested in astronomy and mathematics. He was a skilful mechanic and designer of ordnance . He cast shrapnel shells made of pewter for the Sikh artillery. He invented gun shell that would explode at a fixed place and time. He also invented a clock which showed the hour, the day of month and the lunar changes. He is said to have translated Euclid into Punjabi. Amidst the rivalries of the Ḍogrā and Sandhāṅvālīā factions soon after the death of Mahārājā Khaṛak Siṅgh, Lahiṇā Siṅgh maintained his position and influence at the Darbār. In March 1844, Lahiṇā Siṅgh fell foul of the Jallā regime and feeling insecure at Lahore, he left the Punjab for Haridvār. His jāgīrs were promptly confiscated and usurped by Hīrā Siṅgh. Lahiṇā Siṅgh settled in Banāras, and declined to return to the Punjab even when he was offered the office of Wazīr (minister) by Mahārāṇī Jind Kaur during her regency. He was arrested and kept under surveillance by the British from 23 January 1846 till the end of the first Anglo-Sikh war. In 1846, the British Resident, Sir Henry Lawrence, suggested his nomination as Wazīr in place of Lāl Siṅgh, but Lord Hardinge did not accept the proposal. Lahiṇā Siṅgh returned to the Punjab in1851, but after two years went back to Banāras where he died in 1854.


  1. Sūrī, Sohan Lāl, 'Umdāt-ut-Twārīkh, Lahore, 1885-89
  2. Griffin, Lepel and C.F. Massy, Chiefs and Families of Note in the Punjab. Lahore, 1909
  3. Smyth, G. Carmichael, A History of the Reigning Family of Lahore. Patiala, 1970
  4. Osborne, W.G., The Court and Camp of Runjeet Singh. London, 1840
  5. Hasrat, Bikrama Jit, Anglo-Sikh Relations. Hoshiarpur, 1968
  6. Harbans Singh, The Heritage of the Sikhs. Delhi, 1983

B. J. Hasrat