LAHIṆĀ SIṄGH, SARDĀR (d.1893) a military commander during Sikh rule in the Punjab, came of a Sohī Khatrī family of Gharjākh, a village adjacent to the town of Gujrāṅwālā (now in Pakistan). His grandfather, Pañjāb Siṅgh was a trooper in the regiment of Sardār Fateh Siṅgh Kāliaṅvālā, a general in the army of Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh. After Fateh Siṅgh's death in 1807 in the battle of Naraiṇgaṛh, Pañjāb Siṅgh left his regiment to join another directly under Raṇjīt Siṅgh's command, where he rose in rank and was given a jāgīr. His son, Kāhn Siṅgh, was given the command of 500 horse and a jāgīr worth 15,000 rupees a year. He remained in the service of the Mahārājā for nine years and was dismissed on account of some discrepancies discovered in his accounts. Kāhn Siṅgh then served successively under Harī Siṅgh Nalvā, Atar Siṅgh Sandhāṅvālīā and Colonel Mīhāṅ Siṅgh, governor of Kashmīr. Lahiṇā Siṅgh was the youngest of the three sons of Kāhn Siṅgh and Kishan Kaur. As he grew up, he joined army service under Ajīt Siṅgh Sandhāṅvālīā. He married Chand Kaur, daughter of Harī Siṅgh Nalvā. According to Bābā Prem Siṅgh Hotī, Harī Siṅgh Nalvā, Lahiṇā Siṅgh was present in Jamrūd Fort at the time of the general's death. Lahiṇā Siṅgh's family (including Kāhn Siṅgh and his other sons) continued to receive royal patronage until the murder of Mahārājā Sher Siṅgh in September 1843. Rājā Hīrā Siṅgh, who then came into power, confiscated the jāgīr and threw Lahiṇā Siṅgh and his elder brother, Fateh Siṅgh, into prison. Lahiṇā Siṅgh managed to escape and sought asylum in the ḍerā of Bābā Bīr Siṅgh of Nauraṅgābād. The family was restored to their former position after the fall of Hīrā Siṅgh in December 1844. Kāhn Siṅgh was killed during the first Anglo-Sikh war, and the family jāgīr was restricted to an annual revenue of 2,910 rupees. After the annexation of the Punjab to British dominions, the jāgīr was resumed by the government and pensions in cash were granted to different members of the family. Lahiṇā Siṅgh's share was 360 rupees per annum. He, at the request of his mother-in-law, Māī Desāṅ, retired to live with the latter in Sardār Harī Siṅgh's havelī or mansion in the heart of Gujrāṅwālā town. There, under the influence of a holy man, Bābā Ratan Siṅgh, he turned to spiritual pursuit adopting a simple way of life, and came to be known as Sant Lahiṇā Siṅgh. He died at Gujrāṅwālā in 1893. His widow, Sardārnī Chand Kaur, was allowed by government to draw half of his pension for her lifetime.


  1. Griffin, Lepel and C.F. Massy, Chiefs and Families of Note in the Punjab. Lahore, 1909
  2. Sūrī, Sohan Lāl, 'Umdāt-ut-Twārīkh. Lahore, 1885-89
  3. Hotī, Prem Siṅgh, Harī Siṅgh Nalvā. Lahore, 1937

Ātamjīt Siṅgh