RĀM SIṄGH, RĀJĀ, son of Mirzā Rājā Jai Siṅgh of Āmber, was a 4-hazārī mansabdār of the Mughal emperor, Auraṅgzīb. During Jai Siṅgh's absence in the Deccan on campaigns against Shivājī and the Bījāpur state in 1664-67 Kaṅvar Rām Siṅgh remained in Delhi in their palace in Rāisīnā and represented his father at the imperial court. The Āmber family had been admirers of the Sikh Gurūs since the time of Gurū Hargobind. On account of this old connection, Gurū Har Krishan stayed with Kaṅvar Rām Siṅgh when he came to Delhi in response to the emperor's summons. Here he was taken ill and died on 30 March 1664. Gurdwārā Baṅgla Sāhib now marks the site of his brief sojourn in Rāisīnā. In November 1665, when Gurū Tegh Bahādur was arrested at Dhamtān and brought to Delhi, Kaṅvar Rām Siṅgh interceded and secured his release.

         Rājā Jai Siṅgh, who was leading expeditions in the South, succeeded in persuading Shivājī, on personal assurance for safety, to attend Auraṅgzīb's court. It was Kaṅvar Rām Siṅgh who, presented Shivājī and his son, Shambhūjī, to the emperor at Āgrā on 12 May 1666. The emperor received the Marāṭhās with seeming respect and arranged for them to stay with Rām Siṅgh, instructing the latter to keep watch over them. This was virtual detention, and when Shivajī and Shambhūjī escaped on 19 August 1666, their custodian naturally fell under suspicion. He was punished, first by being forbidden the court and then by being deprived of his rank and pay. However, on his father's death in July 1667, Rām Siṅgh was recognized as successor and restored to his rank. But the emperor had not completely absolved the family from blame. On 27 December 1667, Rājā Rām Siṅgh was nominated to lead an expedition against the Ahom rebels of Assam which was a hazardous assignment. Rām Siṅgh received his formal orders on 6 January 1668. Assam or Kāmrūp was notorious for the sorcerous arts and he was advised by his mother to seek the blessing of Gurū Tegh Bahādur. The Gurū was then travelling in the eastern districts. Rām Siṅgh met him and requested to accompany him. Gurū Tegh Bahādur granted him his request. Together they reached Raṅgāmāṭī on the bank of the Brahmputra in the second half of February 1669. Rājā Rām Siṅgh met with very stiff resistance from the Ahoms, and the contest remained undecided. According to Sikh chroniclers, Gurū Tegh Bahādur eventually arranged a truce opening the way for a negotiated settlement. In celebration of the peace, the Gurū had a mound built on the Brahmputra bank at Dhubṛī by Rām Siṅgh's soldiers. A Sikh shrine called Thaṛā Sāhib or Damdamā Sāhib still exists atop this mound.

         Gurū Tegh Bahādur returned to Paṭnā and therefrom back to the Punjab. The peace brought about by him did not last long and hostilities broke out again. But both sides were weary of war and there was a stalemate in the fighting extending over six years. At last Rājā Rām Siṅgh received permission to leave Assam; he reached the imperial capital in June 1676. Not long afterwards he was called upon to take part in the Deccan campaign. His last expedition was to northwest frontier where he died assisting Amīr Khān, the Mughal general, in quelling local lawlessness. The date of his death is not known.


  1. Kuir Siṅgh, Gurbilās Pātshāhī 10. Patiala, 1968
  2. Giān Siṅgh, Giānī, Twārīkh Gurū Khālsā [Reprint]. Patiala, 1970
  3. Trilochan Singh, Guru Tegh Bahadur : Prophet and Martyr. Delhi, 1967
  4. Harbans Siṅgh, Guru Tegh Bahadur. Delhi, 1982

A. C. Banerjee