RAṆJODH, SIṄGH MAJĪṬHĪĀ (d. 1872), military commander and jāgīrdār of the Sikh Darbār was the son of Desā Siṅgh Majīthīā and foster-brother of Lahiṇā Siṅgh Majīthīā. Details of his early career under Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh are scarce. British records, however, locate him as the governor of Hazārā and the commander of Darbār troops in 1844. He was called to lead Sikh military operations against Jasroṭā to forestall the machinations of Rājā Gulāb Siṅgh ḍogrā of Jammū. General Shām Siṅgh Aṭārīvālā and General Ratan Siṅgh Mān followed separately the main Sikh army under Raṇjodh Siṅgh. The fortress was reduced and Gulāb Siṅgh obliged to surrender. The latter also made over to the Sikhs Rājā Hīrā Siṅgh's treasure brought from Lahore and hidden there.

         With the withdrawal of Lahiṇā Siṅgh Majīṭhīā from Lahore to British territory in March 1844, the political influence of the Majīṭhīās had sunk low at the Darbār. Finding the fortunes of the family declining, Raṇjodh Siṅgh joined Jawāhar Siṅgh's faction. In the first Anglo-Sikh war Raṇjodh Siṅgh commanded a division of the Khālsā army with 70 guns. He entered the Jalandhar Doāb, and having joined his forces with the Lāḍvā chief, seriously threatened Ludhiāṇā. He had a skirmish at Baddovāl, 11 km on the road to Jagrāoṅ, with Maj-Gen Harry Smith, who had hastened to the relief of Ludhiāṇā, on 21 January 1846. Outnumbered, the British general was chary of giving battle. He made a detour to the right, and hastily retreated towards Ludhiānā. Raṇjodh Siṅgh's artillery opened up a cannonade on the retiring British force. A portion of it was worsted, with 77 men taken prisoner. General Smith was however able to save Ludhiāṇā, but the Sikhs claimed a victory at Baddovāl. Raṇjodh Siṅgh marched on Jagrāoṅ in order to cut off British communications with Fīrozpur. He took part in the battle of Alīvāl on 28 January 1846. After the treaty of Bharovāl, Raṇjodh Siṅgh was made a member of the Council of Regency. In 1848, he was arrested following interception of his correspondence with Dīwān Mūl Rāj of Multān, but was released after the war. His jāgīr was confiscated and he was given a pension of Rs 2,500 per annum.

         Raṇjodh Siṅgh Majīthīā died in 1872.


  1. Sūrī, Sohan Lāl, 'Umdāt ut-Twārīkh. Lahore, 1885-89
  2. Griffin, Lepel and C.F. Massy, Chiefs and Families of Note in the Punjab. Lahore, 1940
  3. Burton, R.G., The First and the Second Sikh Wars. Simla, 1911
  4. Gough, C., and A.D. Innes, The Sikhs and the Sikh Wars. London, 1897

B. J. Hasrat