SULTĀNVIṆḌ, village 4 km southeast of Amritsar (31º-38'N, 74º-53'E), has two historical shrines dedicated one each to Gurū Arjan (1563-1606) and Gurū Hargobind (1595-1644).

        GURDWĀRĀ TŪT SĀHIB marks the spot to which Gurū Arjan often repaired for rest under a Mulberry (tūt, in Punjabi) tree which no longer exists. The present building, a square flat-roofed room, was constructed in 1983 by the local saṅgat which maintains it.

        GURDWĀRĀ AṬĀRĪ SĀHIB PĀTSHĀHĪ CHHEVĪṄ marks the site where, according to local tradition, Gurū Hargobind made a halt while travelling from Amritsar to Ḍallā for his wedding ceremonies. The present-building complex located within a walled compound entered through an imposing gateway was constructed during the early 1950's. The central building is a hall with a square sanctum in the middle where the Gurū Granth Sāhib is seated. Above the sanctum are two storeys of square rooms topped by a lotus dome having a gold-plated pinnacle. A small sarovar is in front of the hall. The Gurdwārā is affiliated to the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee but is managed by Bābā Kaliān Siṅgh Sevāvāle. Another place of pilgrim interest at Sultānviṇḍ is an old well, about 2 km southwest of the village. It is named Bhāī Mañjhvālā Khūh. It was into this well that Bhāī Mañjh, a devoted Sikh of Gurū Arjan, had once fallen with a load of firewood meant for Gurū kā Laṅgar on his head. He kept standing in the shallow water to save his load from getting wet until he was rescued by the Gurū on the following day.


    Giān Siṅgh, Giānī, Twārīkh Srī Amritsar [Reprint]. Amritsar, 1977

Gurnek Siṅgh