TAKHTŪPURĀ, village 5 km east of Nihālsiṅghvālā (30º-35'N,75º-16'E) in present-day Mogā district of the Punjab, is sacred to Gurū Nānak (1469-1539), Gurū Hargobind (1595-1644) and Gurū Gobind Siṅgh (1666-708). Three separate shrines close to one another and collectively called Nānaksar after the name of the sarovar or sacred pool commemorate the Gurūs' visits.

        GURDWĀRĀ PĀTSHĀHĪ PAHILĪ, on the bank of Nānaksar sarovar, marks the site where Gurū Nānak had discoursed with a few Siddha-yogīs who lived on a nearby mound. The building, raised by the local saṅgat on the site of an old mud hut, was constructed in 1975 by Sant Darbārā Siṅgh of Lopoṅ. The new six-storeyed edifice is a marble-floored hall, with the sanctum at the far end. The upper storeys built over the sanctum have above them a lotus dome topped by a gold-plated pinnacle.

        GURDWĀRĀ PĀTSHĀHĪ CHHEVĪṄ, commemorates the visit of Gurū Hargobind, who came here after the battle of Mehrāj in December 1634. According to local tradition, Bhāī Jakko, a leading farmer of the village served him with devotion. For a long time only a platform set up as memorial had existed here. The present Gurdwārā was built by Sant Sundar Siṅgh Bhiṇḍrāṅvāle in 1921. The sanctum is in the middle of a high-ceilinged, marbled hall, with a gallery at mid-height. There is a basement below and domed pavilion above the sanctum topped by a gold-plated pinnacle.

        GURDWĀRĀ PĀTSHĀHĪ DASVĪṄ, on the eastern bank of the sarovar, is dedicated to Gurū Gobind Siṅgh, who sited Takhtūpurā en route to Dīnā in December 1705. He is said to have bathed in the sacred Nānaksar. The old building, constructed by an Udāsī saint, Bishan Dās, collapsed during the abnormally heavy rains in 1955, and was replaced by the present complex raised by Sant Darbārā Siṅgh of Lopoṅ in 1962. It comprises a marble-floored hall, with the sanctum in the middle.

        NĀNAKSAR, the rectangular sarovar, was partly lined by Dhannā Siṅgh Malvaī, a general under Mahārājā Raṇjīt Siṅgh. It was desilted and completed with a marbled circumambulatory terrace in 1921 under the supervision of Sant Sundar Siṅgh Bhiṇḍrāṅvāle.

        These shrines are administered by the Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee. Besides the daily services and the observance of important anniversaries on the Sikh calendar, a largely-attended dīvān is held on every new-moon day. The major function of the year, however, is a 3-day religious fair held to mark the popular festivals of Lohṛī and Māghī (mid-January). The Shiromaṇī Gurdwārā Parbandhak Committee also runs at Takhtūpurā an educational institution, Gurū Nānak Khālsā High School, managed by a separate 11-member committee.


  1. Narotam, Tārā Siṅgh, Srī Gurū Tīrath Saṅgrahi. Kankhal,1975
  2. Giān Siṅgh, Giānī, Twārīkh Gurduāriāṅ. Amritsar, n.d
  3. Ṭhākar Siṅgh, Giānī, Srī Gurduāre Darshan. Amritsar, 1923

Gurnek Siṅgh